Future Simple


The Future Simple is used to talk about something that will happen in the future, to express spontaneous decision, to predict future events...

Will and Shall

          A. FORM

          Positive 
Subject + will / shall + V + ...
-----------------------------------
I / We           will / shall          work
You / They / He / She / It             will             work

          Negative 
Subject + will / shall + not + V + ...
-----------------------------------
I / We      will / shall      not         work
You / They / He / She / It       will      not         work

          Question
Will / Shall + Subject + V + ...?
-----------------------------------
Will / Shall            I / we             work ?
Will              you / they / he / she / It            work ?


          ** After "Will" we put an infinitive without "to"; "Will" has a short form " 'll ", and "will not" has a short form "won't"
         
                    - This book will change your life
                    - I will know soon if I have got the job.
                    - Will you still love me tomorrow?
                    - We will not get another chance.

           ** We use "will" in all persons. In the first person we can use either "will" or "shall". The meaning is the same, but "shall" is a little formal.

                    - I will be / shall be at home tomorrow.
                    - We will have / shall have lots of fun. 

          B. "WILL" for the future.
         
          "WILL" is often used to talk about things in the future that we can be fairly certain about. The future is seen as fact, something we cannot control.
                    - Southern England will stay dry and sunny over the weekend.
                    - My father will definitely be in hospital for at least two weeks.
                    - I'll be twenty-five next year.

          ** We use "WILL" for a prediction.
                    - I think United will win for the match.

          ** We can use "WILL" with have to, be allowed to, and be able to.
                    - It's getting late. I will have to hurry.
                    - Competitors will not be allowed to use mobile phones.
                    - Now you have got some funding, you will be able to continue your studies.

          C. An instant decision

          ** We can sometimes use I'll / we'll for an instant decision.
                    - It's raining. I'll take an umbrella.
                    - I think I'll just sit down for a minute.

          D. Willingness

          "Will" sometimes express willingness.
                    - I expect my friend will translate it you. She speaks Italian.
                    - I will sit on the floor. I don't mind.

          "Will not / Won't" can express unwillingness or an emphatic refusal.
                    - The doctor won't come out at this time of night.
                    - I won't put up with this nonsense.
                    - The minister will not agree to the plan

          E. Other uses of will and shall

          ** In a offer we can use "I'll / we'll" and "shall I / shall we"
                    - I'll hold the door open for you.
                    - Shall I hold the door open for you?

=====================*=====================
Next to Future Continuous >>
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment


The Passive : A verb in the Passive Voice when its form shows that something is done to the person or
The Use Of The Passive : An intransitive verb (a verb without object) cannot be passive.
The Agent In The Passive : When we need to mention the agent in a passive sentence, we use a phrase
The Passive With "GET" : We sometimes form the passive with 'get' rather than with 'be'

Past Simple : talk about something that happened at a particular time in the past, for
Past Continuous : is used to express an activity happening over a period of time in the past.
Past Perfect Simple : is used for something that happened before something else in the past,
Past Perfect Continuous : is used for an action that began before a certain point in the past